Caponata is a Sicilian “sweet and sour” eggplant dish. It makes a wonderful side dish or a topping for a bruschetta.
- Preheat your grill or stovetop grill pan
- Toss the eggplant, tomatoes, celery, zucchini and red onion with extra virgin olive oil
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and place on the grill
- When cooked on one side, marks will be evident, flip the ingredients to their other side and cook until fork tender
- Once cooked, allow vegetables to cool to room temperature and cut into a large dice
- Place the cooked vegetables into a mixing bowl, add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve